Today is my half birthday. No, no need to get me a cake, really. Oh just a small one then, gluten free please.
But seriously this means I am just 18 months away from my 40th birthday and I set myself a challenge a while ago to do some things before I reach it.
Time for a long overdue catch up on my progress.
- Go blond. –
INCOMPLETE I have tried, I really tried but without hairdresser intervention I suspect it won’t happen!
- Create a Random Act of Kindness installation (inspired by A year without Supermarkets)
DONE! I did this. It was a ton of fun. I printed some really awful puns and made it so they could be easily torn off the sheet and put the header “these are tearable puns” I put them up on trees and got my husband to put them up in his office. It raised a few smiles, especially mine.
- Drive a rally car.
NOT ATTEMPTED not yet. I’d forgotten about this one!
- Make a lampshade.
INCOMPLETE not yet but I do have the kit and the material.
- Complete a Go-Ape course.
DONE. We did this while we were travelling in Corsica. LOVED IT!
- Yarn bomb something in the village.
DONE. We yarnbombed a bike for the tour de france and displayed it in the village charity shop.
- Make a dessert from my Desserts by Pierre Hermes book.
- Drive a Segway around a forest.
- Cook a dinner from Larousse Gastronomique
- Make a mug (from clay, on a wheel, glaze it, fire it.)
INCOMPLETE – the class is booked!
- Draft a dress pattern, make and wear it.
INCOMPLETE – I’m building up to this with making a dress, redrafting an existing skirt pattern. I will recreate a favourite dress I think and I have plans.
- Run a mile in 8 minutes.
INCOMPLETE – I went out to start this one and ran a time of 8.20, thought oh this will be easy and never went out to practice anymore!
- Wear my hair plated in corn rows.
NOT ATTEMPTED. But I am getting pretty good at braiding my hair.
- Take the family to a festival.
- Ride my bike into Cambridge.
- Design a business logo.
DONE. I didn’t make a traditional logo but I changed my font around and shot the blog header which I also use on business cards. I think that counts.
- Weave a willow basket.
- Sing Karaoke.
NOT ATTEMPTED – and it terrifies me!
- Reupholster dining room chairs.
- Raise £500 for charity.
- Watch a sunset on the west coast.
DONE. We ate dinner as the sun went down over nothing but expanse of water on the west coast of Corsica this year. Bliss
- Knit something with yarn I have spun myself.
- Make my own wine.
- Have a pattern published in a US magazine.
- Have an article published.
INCOMPLETE – its done but not yet published!
- Make a notebook (make paper, bind book.)
- Dye my hair a crazy colour (teal/purple? maybe just a stripe!)
- Make a meal entirely from foraged food.
- Invent/unvent a crochet stitch.
DONE – but I do need to blog it. I used a stitch that I’ve never seen before to make the cuffs on the Dorothea Pocket Jumper. I’ll blog in detail when I release it for individual sale.
- Visit the V&A
DONE – went with Vicki Brown when we met in London for Blogtacular. I didn’t love it as much as I thought I would
- Dye a skein of yarn
DONE – with the lovely Nicola and Lynne. Such a great day!
- Set up a website with a shop to sell my designs
DONE – you are here!
- Make a photobook for the baby photos
- Cut a steek
- Have a screen free weekend
DONE. A whole bank holiday in fact. It was fab.
- Produce a knitted collection
DONE – its out on 10th December. That’s all I can say for now but sign up for the Eden Cottage Yarn mailing list if you want first news on it.
- Design and make a papercut
- Visit the Tate Modern
- Design a garment with a construction I haven’t used before.
DONE – I suspect I hadn’t designed with seamless set in sleeves and the Dorothea pocket jumper has those. I also designed the Vanna cardigan with sideways construction and modified drop sleeves. SO its a definite tick
- Have a birthday party in a hired hall.
NOT ATTEMPTED – I suspect this will be my 40th!
So I think I’m fairly on track to get this done. It feels like I’ve made progress and I’ll get there.