Today I released a new pattern through The Crochet Project. We are breaking the recent mould a little bit by virtue of not being a shawl and not being 4ply! You can find out all about the pattern over on The Crochet Project blog but I wanted to tell you a little about the background to the pattern here and how it came to be.
I teach pretty regularly at The Sheep Shop in Cambridge and I have an absolutely lovely group of ladies who attend classes regularly. They have all been on pretty much every single crochet class I teach and as soon as a new class is listed, they generally book it out. I love this because I get to see some friendly faces when I teach and have watched them all grow in skill and confidence over the past few years. But I began to think I had unleashed a monster when they began to demand a crochet sock class. You see, I am not a fan of crochet socks. Or rather, I should say, I wasn’t a fan. I found crochet socks pretty stiff and unyielding, not particularly comfortable to wear. I knew you could make them work if you made them quite lacy as it was easier to get the stretch in this way but none of the group are particular fans of lace. Anyway, they wore me down and after a few requests I agreed to work on a crochet sock class for them.
Because I have a great interest in what crochet can and can’t do and how that compares to knitting I had some ideas about how I might be able to make a design that really worked. The trick was to find a unisex pattern that allowed some of the stitches to lie vertical and some to lie horizontal to replicate the two way stretch that knitting will give. It took quite a few attempts. Hook size it turned out was really important to get the various elements of the design to work well – cuffs needed to be worked on a very small hook to give some elasticity by keeping the yarn tightly wound, the main stitch pattern needed to be worked loosely to allow the stretch to happen and the heel and toe ,w orked in palin doubles needed to be somewhere between to stretch but not to wear out tooo quickly. I think there were about five completely failed protoypes and then the pattern went through another couple of iterations before I was truly happy with it. I started making the samples for the class.
In the same week I finalised the class design, Kat and I had a phone call to set the direction of The Crochet Project for the next few months and she said she thought we should release a sock pattern soon. Lucky timing! “Well actually I have something I am really really happy with, almost ready to go” said I.
I’m really happy with the final result, Kat has taken some beautiful pictures to illustrate the pattern, as always. I learnt a lot in making them and am happy to be able to share that hard won process with you so that you can create well fitting crochet socks for your whole family (and friends and neighbours!) Yes – I think this will be a very hard working pattern in your library, whether you want a quick gift for grandpa or a new born baby gift. Warm toes for all I say!